Salma Hayek has paid an emotional tribute to her late friend Prince, on what would have been his 64th birthday. “I miss you, my friend,” she captioned a video on Instagram of him performing his hit song Kiss. She also added the phrase in Spanish and shared his birthday, June 7 1958.
Salma often remembers her friend on his birthday; two years ago she shared a picture of the two mid-conversation and wrote: “With everything that’s happening, maybe many people will forget that today is Prince’s birthday but not me.”
“It was very special. He was so, so supportive of me. He was always telling me that I should go back to directing, because I had done one little thing for television,” she told W Magazine of how she came to work with him.
“And then one day, he said, ‘Okay, today’s the day. You have to do this song for me.’ And I said, ‘Oh god, I don’t know. A music video! I don’t watch them, I cannot do this.’ It’s not my thing, you know? And he’s known for being a control freak. So I said, ‘If I’m going to do this, you have to listen to what I say. What if we’re fighting …’ And he said, ‘No, we’re going to choose the thing and do the thing.’ So I said, ‘Okay, let’s go have fun.’
“The girl that’s in the video is one of my best friends; my first A.D. was a friend of ours; the makeup artist was another friend. It was a bunch of friends who went to Morocco. There was no fight, it was very easy, he was really relaxed. He didn’t even realize it was work. A lovely, lovely memory.”
Prince died on 21 April 2016. The singer was found at his Paisley Park studio in Minnesota on Thursday morning, his publicist has said.
The sad news came just days after Prince – full name Prince Rogers Nelson – was hospitalized with flu-like symptoms after performing in Atlanta.
The Purple Rain singer was taken ill on his private jet, forcing it to make an unscheduled landing in Illinois. Prince was treated at a local hospital, but he was released from hospital three hours later and returned home to Minnesota.
His cause of death was later confirmed to be an accidental overdose of the painkiller fentanyl.